Maybe I'm Crazy

The personal wonderings of a middle-class, middle-aged woman in middle America.

Name:
Location: Columbus, Ohio, United States

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A full nite's sleep

I'm what the doctors perimenopausal. Simply (and crudely) put, menopausal is when the female reproductive system is all dried up. Perimenopausal is when the female reproductive system is drying up. Okay, I'm still not dried up but I've got all the other symptoms - hot flashes, insomnia and slow mood swings. I say slow because when I would get PMS I knew the DAY FROM HELL would only last 24 hours. Now the DAY FROM HELL can last over a week! Of course I have hot flashes throughout the day AND NIGHT. And before I know it, I CAN'T SLEEP. That's what has been happening to me for the last week and a half. So all through last week, through the holiday weekend I couldn't sleep more than 1 or 2 hours at a time. Medication wasn't helping. Keeping the fan directly on me while in bed didn't help (luckily I didn't catch a cold). It got so bad yesterday that I finally took (a little) more of my sleeping meds than what is prescribed. AND IT WORKED! 7-1/2 hours of uninterrupted sleep! The result? I felt human and I think I actually treated my coworkers with civility and only cussed out one driver.

And whenever I complain to either my family doctor or OB/GYN (can I stop using OB now? It ain't going to happen), they express incredulity that I'm perimenopausal because I'm so young. Up to now I've held off starting any hormone therapy, but I'm ready to start now.

P.S. How can I get people to read my blog?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home